BHAGWAN SATYA SAI BABA
Get the flower, and you have its beauty and fragrance.
In color see harmony, in light see joy.
In outward form and in the depths of things, behold your Self.
You are the Truth….Satya Sai Baba
Sathya Sai Baba ( Sathya Narayana Raju) born on 23rd November 1926 – 24 April 2011 was an Indian guru and philanthropist. He said to be the rebirth of Sai Baba of Shirdi. Almost everything thought about Sathya Sai Baba’s initial life originates from the hagiography that developed around him, stories that hold exceptional intending to his devotees and are considered by them to be proof of his heavenly nature. According to the sources, Sathya Narayana Raju was born to Meesaraganda Eashwaramma and Peddavenkama Raju Ratnakaram in the town of Puttaparthi.
As a kid, he was depicted as “bizarrely wise” and beneficent, however not really scholastically slanted, as his interests were of a more otherworldly nature. He was extraordinarily capable in reverential music, move and drama. From a youthful age, he was claimed to have been equipped for appearing articles, for example, fruits and desserts out of nowhere.
On 8 March 1940, while living with his elder sibling Sesham Raju in Uravakonda, a residential area close Puttaparthi, Sathya was clearly stung by a scorpion. He lost cognizance for a few hours and in the following few days experienced a discernible change in conduct. There were “indications of chuckling and sobbing, expert expression and hush.” It is claimed that then “he started to sing Sanskrit verses, a dialect of which he had no earlier knowledge.”Doctors finished up his conduct to be mania. Concerned, his parents conveyed Sathya back home to Puttaparthi and took him to numerous priest, specialists and exorcists. One of the exorcists at Kadiri, a town close Puttaparthi, went to the degree of tormenting him with the point of curing him, Sathya apparently resisted the urge to panic all through, which additionally stressed his parents.
On 23 May 1940, Sathya called family members and apparently appeared prasad and blooms for his relatives. His father got to be distinctly irate at seeing this, reasoning his child was beguiled. He took a stick and debilitated to beat him if Sathya did not uncover who he truly was. On 20 October 1940, the young Sathya reacted kindly and firmly “I am Sai Baba”, a reference to Sai Baba of Shirdi. This was the first occasion when he declared himself to be the rebirth of Sai Baba of Shirdi—a holy person who got to be distinctly celebrated in the late nineteenth and mid twentieth hundreds of years in Maharashtra And had died eight years before Sathya was born.
SATYA SAI TEACHINGS
• Love – for all creatures.
• Service – to others.
• Put a ceiling on one’s desires.
• The world is maya (illusion), only God is real.
• Every person is God in form, though most do not experience this as their reality.
• Meditation – Baba teaches two techniques, so ham (Upanishadic mantra for repetition and focus) and jyoti (Light meditation).
• Inclusive acceptance of all religions as paths to realizing the One (God).
• Ahimsa (non-violence), shanthi (peace), dharma (right conduct, living in accord with natural law), and sathya (truth).
Nine-Point Code of Conduct
Center members are expected to do their best to practice the Nine-Point Code of Conduct in order to be examples of Sathya Sai Baba’s teachings:
1) Daily meditation and prayer (Jap).
2) Group devotional singing (bhajan) or prayer with family members once a week.
3) Participation in Sai Spiritual Education (Bal Vikas Programme) by children of the family.
4) Participation in community service work and other programs of the organization.
5) Regular attendance at the Center’s devotional meetings (Bhajan or Nagar Sankirtan).
6) Regular study of Sathya Sai Baba literature.
7) The use of soft, loving speech with everyone.
8) Not speaking ill of others, especially in their absence.
9) Narayana Seva. Practice placing a ceiling on desires – consciously and continuously strive to eliminate the tendency to waste time, money, food and energy – and utilize the savings for service to mankind.
SOME PART OF HIS DISCOURESES
Duty without love is deplorable. Duty with love is desirable. Love without duty is Divine. Duty implies force or compulsion while love is spontaneous and expresses itself without external promptings. All the japa (recitation), dhyāna (meditation) and the deeds of merit you perform will be futile if you do not cultivate universal and selfless love.
I have come to light the lamp of love in your hearts, to see that it shines day by day with added luster. I have not come to speak on behalf of any particular dharma (faith or religion), like the Hindu dharma. I have not come on any mission of publicity for any sect, or creed or cause; nor have I come to collect followers for any doctrine. I have no plan to attract disciples or devotees into my fold or any fold. I have come to tell you of this universal unitary faith, this Atmic Principle, this path of love, this dharma of love, this duty of love, this obligation to love.
See in Me yourself, for I see Myself in all of you. You are My life, My breath, My soul. All of you are My Forms. When I love you, I love Myself. When you love yourselves, you love Me. I have separated Myself from Myself so that I may love Myself. My beloved ones, You are my own Self.
The attraction that the vast Brahman has for the añu (atom) is the attraction of the whole for the part. It is the basis of all love—the love of the mother, of the father and son, of the friend, the spouse and even of the devotee towards God. The jīva (the individual self) loves the Brahman or the totality of which it is part. See all as parts of the same whole to which you belong. Then there can be no hatred or envy or greed or pride.
Everything is based on love and love alone. The human being is born in love, is sustained in love and ultimately merges in love. Love is the basis of human life. But you are forgetting such true love and are getting carried away by the worldly and physical love, which is not love in the true sense.
Quotes of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba
1. The greatest fear man can have is the fear of losing GOD’s Love.
2. Too much food results in dullness of mind.
3. A language is as sweet as the tongues of the speakers.
4. Every experience that is drawn through any of the senses has an effect on one’s health.
5. Love all beings; that is enough.
6. Discipline is the mark of intelligent living
7. When calamity approaches, discrimination departs.
8. A man’s well-being depends upon his degree of contentment.
9. God is all Names and all forms.
10. Follow the Master, face the devil, fight to the end, finish the game.
11. Real happiness lies within you.
12. All things in creation are subject to the law of change, and man, too, is subject to this law.
13. Renunciation is the power of battling against evil forces and holding the mind in check.
14. The teachers of tomorrow are the students of today.
15. God is not to be spoken of as coming down or going up, since HE is everywhere.
16. Learn to speak what you feel, and act what you speak.
17. What is the unmistakable mark of a wise man? It is Love, Love for all humanity.
18. Each man carries his destiny in his own hands.
19. Whenever and wherever you put yourself in touch with GOD, that is the state of meditation.
20. Small minds select narrow roads; expand your mental vision and take to the broad road of helpfulness, compassion and service.
21. Silence is the speech of the spiritual seeker.
22. Service springs out of LOVE and it scatters LOVE in profusion.
23. Ignorance is the most important cause of sorrow.
24. Once we surrender our mind to GOD completely, HE will take care of us in every way.
25. Have constructive thoughts, consoling words, compassionate acts.
26. Where there is FAITH, there is LOVE; Where there is LOVE; there is PEACE; Where there is PEACE; there is GOD; Where there is GOD; there is BLISS.
27. The end of knowledge is LOVE. The end of education is character.
28. LOVE is the scarcest article today.
29. Mine, not thine; this sense of greed is the root of all evil. This distinction is applied even to GOD! — my GOD, not yours! Your GOD, not mine!
30. All spiritual practice must be directed to the removal of the husk and the revelation of the kernel.
31. The mind fixed in the awareness of the ONE is line a rock; unaffected by doubt, stable, secure.
32. LOVE lives by giving and forgiving. Self lives by getting and forgetting.
33. GOD is the doer; you are but the instrument.
34. The heart of man, which is now allowed to lie fallow, has to be ploughed by spiritual exercises like repetition of GOD’s name.
35. GOD is neither distant, nor distinct from you.
36. What is meant by the phrase “to know GOD”? It means “to love GOD”.
37. When there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, there will be PEACE in the world.
38. The beauty of life depends upon our good habits.
39. Good company is important, it helps to cultivate good qualities.
40. You cannot see ME, but I am the light you see by. You cannot hear ME, but I am the sound you hear by. You cannot know ME, but I am the truth by which you live.
41. Be ever watchful to see that you strive to take in more and more of GOD into you.
42. If you honour your mother, the Mother of the Universe will guard you against harm.
43. The same current activates all.
44. GOD gave you the time, space, cause, material, idea, skill, chance and fortune. Why should you feel as if you are the doer?
45. Make the home a seal of harmony.
46. Have no desires to place before GOD, whatever HE does with you, however HE treats you, is the gift that HE likes best to give you!
47. Unity is divinity; purity is enlightenment.
48. Always respect another’s opinion and another’s point of view.
49. Food should not be too salty, too hot, too bitter, too sweet, too sour.
50. Reason can prevail only when arguments are advanced without the whipping up of sound.
51. Take failure and victory cooly.
52. There should not be any trace of dislike or distrust on the score of nationality, language, caste, economic status, scholarship, age or sex.
53. Your thoughts, words, and deeds will shape others and theirs will shape you.
54. GOD is ONE without a second.
55. The service of man is the only means by which you can serve GOD.
56. By eating flesh one develops violent tendencies and animal diseases.
57. The PEACE that pervades the heart can never be shaken for any reason; only PEACE of this kind is worthy of the name.
58. As close as you are to GOD, so close is GOD to you.
59. Immortality is the fruit of sacrifice.
60. The grace of GOD is like insurance. It will help you in your time of need without any limit.
61. When you feel you cannot do good, at least desist from doing evil.
62. LOVE seeks no reward; LOVE is its own reward.
63. The joy that we cause in the heart of GOD is the only worthwhile achievement.
64. Do not get attached to worldly things and pursuits. Be in the world, but do not let the world be in you.
65. Truth has no fear; Untruth shivers at every shadow.
66. Be simple and sincere.
67. The mind sees separateness, LOVE sees unity.
68. God is the life-breath of every soul.
69. The only ache people have nowadays is ache in the stomach due to over eating and lack of exercise!
70. Being a good example is the best form of service.
71. Friendship is the expression of unshakable LOVE, LOVE that is noble, pure, free from desire or egoism.
72. Money comes and goes; morality comes and grows.
73. GOD first; the world next; myself last.
74. Try to conduct yourself in such a way as not to injure others.
75. Do not use poisonous words against anyone, for words wound more fatally than even arrows.
76. Patience is all the strength that man needs.
77. With effort and prayer destiny can be attained. Start the effort.
78. You must welcome tests because it gives you confidence and it ensures promotion.
79. What is offered to GOD is totally free from all defects and imperfections.
80. Spiritual progress is right living, good conduct, moral behavior.
81. A nation that has no bridle on its sensuality, can never thrive our survive.
82. I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.
83. Teachers must be examples of LOVE and TRUTH.
84. Each country is but a room in the mansion of GOD.
85. We should realize that man has not only a mind which conceives thoughts, but also a heart which can put them into practice.
86. LOVE must express itself as SERVICE.
87. The wise are those who know the Self.
88. Whatever the trouble, however great the sorrow, persist and win by recollecting the LORD.
89. Man will realize his mission on earth when he knows himself as divine and reveres others as divine.
90. Devotion is not a uniform to be worn on certain days and then to be put aside.
91. When the road ends, and the goal is gained, the pilgrim finds that he has traveled only from himself to himself.
92. So long as you say “I am”. there is bound to be fear, but once you say and feel “I am GOD”, you get unconquerable strength.
93. Duty without LOVE is deplorable, duty with LOVE is desirable, LOVE without duty is divine.
94. When you kill an animal, you give him suffering, pain, harm. GOD is in every creature, so how can you give such pain?
95. When the magnet does not attract the needle, the fault lies in the dirt that covers up the needle.
96. When the people become good, the world will become good.
97. Practice the vocabulary of love – unlearn the language of hate and contempt.
98. God is in you, around you, behind you, above you, beside you.
99. Of all the righteous acts, help rendered to those needing it, is the most righteous.
100. Surrendering the fruit of action to the Lord is real sacrifice.
101. My birthday is the date when divinity blossoms in your heart.
102. God is neither distant nor distinct from you.
103. What is offered to God is totally free from all defects and imperfections.
104. The joy that we cause in the heart of God is the only worthwhile achievement.
105. The acid test by which an activity can be confirmed as holy or sacred is to examine whether it promotes attachment or avoids bondage.
106. Education should build character.
107. Its is Truth and Truth alone, that is one’s real friend, relative.
108. Faith is like our life breath. It is impossible to live even for a minute in this world without faith.